Come and join us at Flourish at our brand new fun and creative knitting club hosted each week by Knit with Em on a Friday afterschool in Dumfries Town Centre!
Em is a Knitting For All Ltd accredited teacher and follows their professionally designed 'Kids Knit' programme. The programme provides a structured way of learning and building on knitting skills and consolidating knowledge. It allows children to become confident, independent and inspired knitters! All knitting abilities are welcome at Knit Club, whether your child is a complete beginner or more advanced knitter there are activities for all.
• On their first session children settle in by putting together their own knitting needles using wet felting techniques. This allows children to take some time to get to know the teacher, the space and others in the group, and be proud that they have made their own knitting tools!
• Beginners will begin by learning how to cast on and do knit stitch.
• Once their knitting is the desired length they will learn to cast off and use what they have made to make an item of their choice.
• Once they have progressed past the beginners stage (usually after about 4-6 weeks), or if they are already at this point when starting, Em has folders full of patterns children can choose from. The patterns are all designed to help children learn new skills and complete projects.
• A one-off membership fee of £4 is charged directly with Em for new starts which covers the cost of a knitting bag and project folder. The folder is used to store all of their patterns, has progress sheets where children can use stickers to keep track of what they have learnt, and their certificates!
• Knit with Em's classes present opportunities for learning about where yarn comes from, about knitting history and how to design projects.
• We will occasionally do other small yarn-based projects such as weaving, sewing and felting. Although this is primarily a knitting class children are also welcome to learn crochet instead of knitting if they would prefer.
• At Knit with Em we always use natural fibres and start off with chunky colourful wool as we know these materials feel and look great and are the most beneficial for learning!
Knitting is beneficial for children for so many reasons. It can increase concentration levels and induce relaxation in it’s repetitive nature. It can also help with numeracy skills, fine motor skills and problem solving. Knitting in a group is also great for developing communication and social skills and their get to know other children with the same interests. If you needed any other reasons to come along then its also an excellent life long skill for great health and well being.
All materials are included, so no need to bring anything (unless children would like to!)
Classes are small, maximum class number is 10 children, to ensure they get the personal tuition and encouragement they the need to help with creating each project. There is a minimum number of participants required for the course to go ahead.
TUTOR | Em Webster
LEVEL | All Levels
AGE | All primary aged children (Ages 5-11yrs)
VENUE | Flourish, 111 High Street, Dumfries, DG1 2QT
PRICE | £35 for 4 week course includes all materials & refreshments
DATES | 20th May, 27th May, NO CLASS ON 3rd June (Jubilee Weekend), 10th June & 17th June 2022
TIME | Each week at 4pm - 5.30pm
*PLEASE NOTE |
Em is also an NHS shift worker and my contract requires me to prioritise my NHS work. Very occasionally I may be rostered on for a shift which coincides with a planned knitting class and the class will need to be rescheduled. I endeavour to inform attendees of any such changes as the first possible opportunity which should be at least 4 weeks in advance.
All our workshop and class bookings are non-refundable. If circumstances change, something pops up and you can no longer make a workshop or event please CONTACT US
with at least 7 days notice before the day of the class or event.
We try our best to price our workshops as fairly as possible and offer good value for money. We therefore have to have a clear cancellation policy to ensure that we cover our costs and the ongoing viability of the workshop. Unfortunately we are unable to make exceptions to this policy. This is to be fair to all of our customers and to allow us to keep our class sizes small with lots of personal attention.
We urge you to carefully check your diary to ensure that you are available to attend any workshops or events you are booking with us. Please refer to our WORKSHOP BOOKING & CANCELLATION POLICY
for terms and conditions. We hope you understand and thank you for your support.