At The Guild Dumfries, we aim to provide visitors to Dumfries Market Festival with a diverse range of makers, creatives, independent businesses, food and beverage producers, with an emphasis on quality, regional and seasonal produce. Over a short space of time, we’ve built a strong reputation in the community as a key platform for emerging business owners to gain exposure and develop a brand presence.
Taking part is a great way for you and your business to interact directly with new and existing audiences, gain face-to-face feedback about your products and services and also we hope have some fun being part of our creative community while your work.
To ensure we continue to maintain our reputation we take care and commitment throughout our entire application process. The Guild Dumfries will review each and every application thoughtfully, and we don't take it lightly it’s a serious business and a big job! If you’ve never applied to be involved in one of events before, please don’t be scared! We LOVE to hear from new makers and happy to give advice before you make an application. We’re keen to support all of our traders, both fledgling and the more experienced. We hope we have provided extensive information regarding our application process as well as our selection criteria.
Our selection process is based upon on our criteria below, please take the time to read through it and feel free to get in touch with us if you have any questions or need further advice. If you would like to know more about our T&C’s, the finers details and costs etc you can read all about them HERE.
Got a question about the application process before you apply?
Please get in touch and we will try our best to answer your query.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR WITHIN APPLICATIONS
• Independent designs, or products of a handmade nature should be original and creative, of the absolute highest quality, finished to the highest standards. You must show a high level of professionalism in your work and an obvious commitment to your creative practice and your business.
• Consistency between your work and brand as a cohesive story.
• You must hand make or small batch produce your work, designs must be your own and the majority of elements made by or designed by yourself. We will not accept applications from people who assemble pre-existing products, mass-produced items, or work that has not been designed / produced by the person making the application.
• Your online presence, products and brand should be considered, well designed and aesthetically appealing. Presentation should be considered and you should display your products/services to their fullest potential.
• Creative and original designs and products designed and/or handmade by you, and not sourced in an unethical way. If the product is not handmade it must be made ethically and sustainably. If it is made elsewhere we prioritise products that are fair-trade, made in support of local communities, sweatshops free, cruelty free and created with an environmental conscience.
• Items sold should have a wide range of prices to appeal to a variety of shoppers; our events are promoted as affordable and accessible to all pockets.
• You must be able to provide a minimum of 5 high quality and clear images of your work.
• Food providers should have a food offering that makes the most of the produce in season using fresh, local or Scottish, sustainable and nutritionally balanced produce and highlighting healthy options where available.
• Ensure food provided meets European Union legal standards for food hygiene and food standards and strive for excellence by implementing standards such as the Eat Safe Award.
• As part of the Green Arts Initiative, Dumfries Makers Market aims to promote zero waste to reduce their environmental impact. Therefore, we encourage all our traders to consider their carbon footprint, the recycling of food waste and the use environmentally friendly packaging.
• If you're a returning trader, you must demonstrate how your work has progressed since participating in any past events. You must demonstrate that you’re offering new products, or have developed variations on designs in order to keep the makers market at the Dumfries Market Festival fresh and exciting for our returning customers and visitors.
If you're a maker, designer. artist, producer or indie business owner and are keen to find new ways to get your products in front of new customers in a prime location then why not get involved in Dumfries Market Festival. We are keen to collaborate with makers from across the region and beyond. We hope that we can work together to offer our creative community support and opportunities to grow their business and build their audience.