Read over our Application Process & Criteria below.
If you'd love to make an application then APPLY NOW, you'll need to complete our short online Application Form. Don't forget to read the Information about the event and the Terms & Conditions.
Its then a patient wait for an email response from us after the deadline date, which is stated on the application form. If your application is successful, we'll provide you with further details re. payment, documentation etc.
Dumfries Makers Market provides a welcoming and inviting destination for the community to meet and greet makers, artisan food and drinks producers and independent businesses. Our markets showcase the very best in creative talent, including design, ceramics, art, textiles, photography, artisan food and beverages. We want to support fledgling business, showcasing new talent alongside more established businesses. We want to provide an inspiring, lively, unique and vibrant experience on the streets of Dumfries.
At Dumfries Makers Market we don't just allocate spaces to traders but ask interested traders to complete an online application form by a deadline date. A selection process then takes place after this date by a chosen Curatorial Team. Our application process allows each event we produce to be curated, with a mixture of disciplines and a variety of different stalls. This lets us maintain a high level of quality that we hope visitors to our events will grow to expect when they come along on market day. This process also allows us to limit where possible any duplication of existing businesses in the town and a variety of different stallholders at the event. Our aim is to provide additionality to Dumfries town centre, not to detract from it.
We would also like to offer a stall sharing opportunity so that young fledgling businesses can take the first steps into a retail environment and get direct feedback from customers. In addition to this, we would also offer a few pitches to charity/not for profit stalls, if space allows, so they are able to benefit from some community fundraising.
All our traders must provide valid certification of Public Liability Insurance and Employers Liability Insurance where necessary. Food and beverage stalls must also provide the appropriate Health and Safety/Food Hygiene certificates to be permitted to trade. All stall holders must go through our application process by filling out our simple online application form and provide us with images that will be used in marketing the event. All applicants will be contacted after the deadline to inform you whether you were successful or not. Successful applicants will be notified and then be charged a booking fee to confirm their place.
Got a question about the application process before you apply?
Please get in touch and we will try our best to answer your query.
Our selection is based on our criteria below:
• All work should be original, cohesive and consistent, of the absolute highest quality, finished to the highest standards. You must show a high level of professionalism in your work and an obvious commitment to your creative practice and your business.
• You must hand make or small batch produce your work, designs must be your own and the majority of elements made by or designed by yourself. We will not accept applications from people who assemble pre-existing products, mass-produced items, or work that has not been designed / produced by the person making the application.
• Your online presence, products and brand should be considered, well designed and aesthetically appealing. Presentation should be considered and you should display your products/services to their fullest potential.
• Your work is designed and/or handmade by you, and not sourced in an unethical way.
• Items sold should have a wide range of prices to appeal to a variety of shoppers; our events are promoted as affordable and accessible to all pockets.
• You must be able to provide a minimum of 5 high quality and clear images of your work.
• Food providers should have a food offering that makes the most of the produce in season using fresh, local or Scottish, sustainable and nutritionally balanced produce and highlighting healthy options where available.
• Ensure food provided meets European Union legal standards for food hygiene and food standards and strive for excellence by implementing standards such as the Eat Safe Award.
• As part of the Green Arts Initiative, Dumfries Makers Market aims for zero waste to reduce their environmental impact. Therefore, we encourage all our traders to consider their carbon footprint and the recycling of food waste and the use environmentally friendly packaging.
We are rather delighted to have been invited to organise a Makers Market at this years Big Burns Supper Festival in Dumfries.
Working in partnership with the festival team plus other organisations, our Makers Market will play host to a creative community of makers and home-grown brands from our region and beyond.
Come and join us on the 26th & 27th January.
More details coming soon, sign up to our Mailing List to be the first to hear!