We're delighted we can finally share our news about our next exciting project in Dumfries!
We are really excited to announce that The Guild Dumfries C.I.C will be moving to a new space in Dumfries in the heart of the town and we can't wait to welcome you in November to Flourish. We are thrilled to be working in partnership with Midsteeple Quarter and together we are redeveloping 111 High Street to create a permanent home for a year round retail collective on the ground floor, open 6 days a week. But our new space won't just be a shop we'll also have a dedicated workshop space, flexible meeting| events space and offices on the first floor too. As part of the project, we will deliver a variety of activities and a programme of events, including creative workshops, after school clubs, exhibitions and talks. More details coming soon!
We can't wait to throw open the doors of our community space and showcase talented makers, creatives and producers from across the region & beyond in our new shop on the ground floor of the building. It will be a one stop shop unusual and handmade. A place where customers can purchase covetable products they might not find elsewhere in the town and they'll also be happy in the knowledge that they are buying directly from local makers. The Guild Dumfries C.I.C want to continue to provide our community of makers, creatives and producers with a platform so they can flourish and grow. Sharing their story and the beautiful products they take care and passion to make and produce.
The Guild has already demonstrated a strong need for a retail collective in Dumfries. We have piloted two previous Pop Up Shops in 2018 and our 2020, which were both an overwhelming success. We now have a business model in place that has been tried and tested, a wealth of skills and experience to deliver this type of project in house including retail management, merchandising, marketing and design. Plus we’ve built up a reputation for delivering high quality community events that provide a platform and support for small independent businesses and have a loyal following.
Over the last 3 years we have developed the trust of our community of makers & producers which grows each time we organise events and projects. We currently have a thriving membership of over 170 businesses, 307 people are ‘Friends of the Guild’, who support our vision and aims and there are 100 active volunteers, who support the delivery of the street market festivals and our previous projects and pop up events. Now that restrictions are easing we are thrilled we can take over a bigger premises, open our doors 6 days a weeks during the day and in the evening and collaborate with even more businesses, organisations and our community in Dumfries.
We can't wait to work in collaboration with our community of makers and producers to create an experiential shop in our new space. If you're a maker, creative, food and drinks producer or indie business owner and are keen to find new ways to get your products in front of new customers in a prime location then APPLY TODAY, the deadline is the 30th September at Midday. We are keen to collaborate with makers from across the region & beyond and strive to create an exciting and innovative experiential shop in a town centre location in Dumfries. We hope that we can work together to offer support and opportunities to grow their business and build their audience.
We want to continue to encourage people to shop small and support local businesses that live and work in our region and this permanent space will alow us to do just that! As a social enterprise we want to run a business, make a profit, but any surplus income we generate from this project, after covering running costs and overheads, is reinvested in the business and goes towards its social aims. We use that money to create a positive social impact and it will help us to develop the types of facilities, projects, events, activities and opportunities our community and town needs. When you buy from a social enterprise you are choosing to spend your money with a business that is giving something back. It really is consumerism with a conscious.
Please do help us spread the word if you know anyone that might be interested. We really do hope you'll come and visit us, support us, get involved and shop local when we throw open the doors in November. We are really busy working hard to transform the space in preparation, we will be sharing lots more details, behind the scenes and sneak peaks as our plans progress in the coming weeks and months on social media and to our mailing list. Its such an exciting time for us and we are really looking forward to sharing our journey with you and making this project happen!
We are working hard behind the scenes transforming the building and look forward to welcoming you to our new space when we open in November in Dumfries town centre.
Join our our mailing list and we'll keep you up to date about our next exciting project, you'll never miss a thing!
Why should you apply?
• We want to support you where we can and we want to help you sell your work and spread the word about your business.
• We will provide a platform and opportunities to get your products in front of new customers in a prime site location for minimal investment.
• We will promote your business at every opportunity on social media accounts.
• You will be featured in our online directory that connects your business directly with our growing audience of loyal supporters.
• You will have an opportunity to be featured in our meet the maker blog series and instagram take overs.
• We will charge an affordable rental fee of £780 FOR SIX MONTHS Rental Period (£130 paid in advance per month) , £450 FOR THREE MONTHS Rental Period (£150 paid in advance per month) and £175 FOR ONE MONTH Rental Period, paid in advance.
• All sales made are yours, minus a small 10% commission.
• We will sell your products for you, so you are able to concentrate on making and producing.
• We will help you to nurture and grow your business and will introduce you to a network of other like-minded makers in our private facebook group, at our in person events, bi monthly gatherings, workshops, business development training and talks.
• You will have access to dedicated workshop and events space and benefit from a discounted rate as a member of the collective.
• You will have the opportunity to share your skills and expertise, inspiring creativity and entrepreneurship.
• You will be part of community making positive social change and playing a part in the regeneration of Dumfries.
How does it work?
You pay a rental fee to be involved if your application is successful. You'll then either drop off or post your stock to us. We will then promote and sell your work, unlike a market stall you don't need to be there at our shop at Flourish. You can of course decide to volunteer some time to during the project, which we'd love you to do. We will tally up the sales figures at the end of each month of your rental period and you'll recieve all income from the sales, less a 10% commission fee.
Can you spare a few hours of your time to help make this project happen, we’d love to hear from you! Being a volunteer is a great way to meet new people who are keen to make a positive change in Dumfries. Everyone has a skill to share so we’d love to hear from you no matter what you do.